Before the stone church was built here in the C12th, it appears to have been the site of an earlier Saxon-Norman timber church. Originally called Ilford, the parish was later renamed Little Ilford to distinguish it from Great Ilford, and it was the third civil parish which made up the new borough of Newham alongside West Ham and East Ham. In 1801 Little Ilford had 85 inhabitants. It did not grow until the 1860s when residential development began in Manor Park, the name by which the area became generally known. Little Ilford Manor included Aldersbrook, where the City of London Cemetery is now located. An early memorial brass in St Mary's Church commemorates Thomas Heron, the son of a former Lord of the Manor, who died in 1517 as a schoolboy. Thomas's brother who became Lord of the Manor was married to the daughter of Sir Thomas More executed under Henry VIII. In the 1890s Little Ilford Manor was sold for housing. The small church was rebuilt in the early C18th and stands on a corner site.