Shrewsbury Park is on land that once belonged to the Earls of Shrewsbury, with outstanding views over London, Kent and Essex. Outside the park in Busmoor Crescent is Shrewsbury House, which is now a Library and community centre built in 1923. Nearby Princess Charlotte, daughter of George IV, lived in 1799. Part of the grounds of Shrewsbury House were purchased by the LCC in 1928 for public open space and in the 1930s remaining areas of the former grounds were developed for housing. A number of pre-Roman burial grounds were discovered during building and were destroyed apart from one in Brinklow Crescent. Another in Shrewsbury Park was later levelled.