The Western Synagogue was established in 1761 and the Cemetery in Montagu Road opened in the late 19th century. The land was initially owned by the Federation of Synagogues as part of its cemetery which opened in 1889 and was sold to the Western Synagogue. The main Western Cemetery is in Cheshunt. In 1991 the Western Marble Arch Synagogue was set up as successor to the Western Synagogue and Marble Arch Synagogues, and now holds this cemetery's records. It is entered through 2 sets of ornamental iron gates in a brick wall leading into a gravelled driveway with some well-kept shrubs in front of square brick building.