Putney was settled from early times, with Roman occupation. Lower Richmond Road was probably a Roman Road but Putney Lower Common remained open pasture and farmland. In 1469 an area to the south known as 'Pightells' was enclosed by John Twigge for raising sheep for wool. Some further land was lost in the 19th century when Elm Lodge was built. It was rebuilt in 1912 as Putney Hospital, and when Putney Lower Common Cemetery was established in 1858. The common now separates the 19th century urban development of Putney from its neighbour Sheen but there was little building around the common until the 1860s. In 1871 the Wimbledon and Putney Commons Act was passed and the Wimbledon and Putney Conservators prevented further encroachment. Cricket is played in the summer and a fairground visits on bank holidays and in this way the common still offers the traditional activities associated with commons before urbanisation and enclosure overtook them. In the south-east corner is All Saints' Church, built in 1874, with a later north-east extension.